Frequently Asked Questions

Is Wi-Fi available for guests visiting Cal Poly?

Yes. On-campus guests can use CalPolyGuest.

What is the WiFiSetup service?

WiFiSetup is a service which allows you to quickly and easily configure your wireless device for Secure Mustang Wireless. To get started, visit Get Connected.

What is Secure Mustang Wireless?

Secure Mustang Wireless is a service that provides Wi-Fi to students, faculty, and staff. This is done by using Radio Frequency (RF) technology to transmit data through the air without wired cabling.

What is eduroam?

Cal Poly students, staff and faculty have access to eduroam, a global wireless network that allows you secure, easy access to Wi-Fi at thousands of participating higher education and research institutions. eduroam also allows students, faculty, and staff visiting Cal Poly from participating institutions to access wireless on campus. All users have to do is find the eduroam network on your Wi-Fi enabled device and log in using your valid university username and password. In addition to Cal Poly, eduroam is available at thousands of locations in the U.S. or worldwide.

eduroam users with a account will have the same level of access they do on Secure Mustang Wireless; however, visiting eduroam users will only have access to the internet.

Where do Secure Mustang Wireless and eduroam work?

Wireless is available in all buildings across the campus. View the interactive Google map for the latest details. Additionally, all on-campus University Housing and study rooms have wireless.

What devices are supported? What devices are not supported?

Your device must support Enterprise Wi-Fi to connect to SecureMustangWireless or eduroam, meaning it prompts you for both a "username" and "password". 

  • Supported Devices:
    Windows, Mac OS X, iOS, Android, Chromebook and Ubuntu (Linux) operating systems
  • Devices Not Supported:
    Devices which prompt you for a password only, but not a username. This includes devices such as Kindle, Nook, Amazon Echo, Google Home, gaming systems, Chromecast, Roku, Ring, Nest, home/smart appliances, etc.

Can I use my personal laptop or device?

Yes. Students, staff, and faculty have access to the wireless network using their personal devices. It is up to the user to correctly configure their device for use with wireless. Staff and faculty should contact their department's CITC (LAN) Coordinator or the ITS Service Desk for assistance.

What equipment is required for using my personal laptop?

Your laptop, tablet or phone must have Wi-Fi which uses IEEE 802.11 standard technology. To ensure compatibility with the Cal Poly wireless system, look for the keyword "Wi-Fi" on newly purchased equipment. We support 802.11 A, G, N and AC.  In addition, your device must support the "WPA2 Enterprise" security standard, which uses both your Cal Poly Portal username and password to authenticate you to the wireless system, rather than a single password or passcode like you'd find in a typical home Wi-Fi network.

For more information, visit Get Connected.

How do I get connected with my personal laptop?

Secure Mustang Wireless requires some configuration visit Get Connected for more information.

Where do I check out a laptop?

Students, faculty, and staff can check out laptops at the Kennedy Library PolyConnect Computer Lab as well as at the Media Resource Center.

Who do I contact if I have a question?

Contact the ITS Service Desk at 805-756-7000 for general wireless and technical questions.

If you are having a problem with Wi-Fi in the Residence Halls, please contact ResNet at 805-756-5600.

Is wireless secure? Can anyone see my email/data?

Secure Mustang Wireless features WPA2, which keeps your wireless connection secure. No one can see where you're going or the data you are transmitting or receiving.

What wireless network do I connect to?

The main wireless network on campus or "SSID" is SecureMustangWireless.

Is wireless available in campus university housing?

On-campus housing and study rooms have wireless through ResNet.

My computer sees "WiFiSetup" and "ResnetWifiSetup". What is the difference between the two?

WiFiSetup is an on-campus wireless network meant for setting up a device for Secure Mustang Wireless. This is only available on campus not in University Housing.

"ResnetWifiSetup" is a University Housing wireless network. More information can be found about ResNet at

I still can't get connected. What do I do?

Check out our Get Help page. If you still need help, please contact:

ITS Service Desk
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.  
Location: Natatorium (No. 46), across from Spanos Stadium 
Phone: 805-756-7000

Related Content