Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Wi-Fi available for Guests visiting Cal Poly?
- What is WiFiSetup service?
- What is Secure Mustang Wireless?
- Where does Secure Mustang Wireless work?
- Can I use my personal laptop for Secure Mustang Wireless?
- What equipment is required for using my personal laptop?
- How do I get connected with my personal laptop?
- How do I check out a laptop for use?
- Who do I contact if I have a question?
- Is wireless secure? Can anyone see my email/data?
- What wireless network do I connect to?
- Outside wireless: Where can I find it?
- Is there wireless available in the Residence Halls?
- My computer sees a connection called "WiFiSetup". What is the difference between the two?
- I have configured my Mac OS X computer for Secure Mustang Wireless and still cannot get connected. What do I do?
If you have any troubleshooting questions please click here.
Yes. On-campus guests can use Cal Poly's Guest Wi-Fi when on campus. Follow the instructions for CalPolyGuest Wi-Fi Access.
WiFiSetup is a service which allows you to quickly and easily configure your wireless device for Secure Mustang Wireless at Cal Poly. To get started, go to Get Connected.
Secure Mustang Wireless is a service that provides Wi-Fi wireless to students, faculty and staff. This is done by using Radio Frequency (RF) technology to transmit data through the air without wired cabling.
Wireless is available in all buildings across the campus. Additionally, all on-campus residence halls and study rooms have wireless.
Yes. Students, staff, and faculty have access to the wireless network using their personal devices. It will be up to the user to correctly configure their device for use with wireless; staff and faculty should contact their department's LAN coordinator for assistance.
Your laptop, tablet or phone must have Wi-Fi which uses IEEE 802.11 standard technology. To ensure compatibility with the Cal Poly wireless system, look for the keyword "Wi-Fi" on newly purchased equipment. We support 802.11 A, G, N and AC. In addition, your device must support the "WPA2 Enterprise" security standard, which uses both your Cal Poly Portal username and password to authenticate you to the wireless system, rather than a single password or passcode like you'd find in a typical home Wi-Fi network.
For more information, visit Get Connected.
Secure Mustang Wireless requires some configuration. For more information go to Get Connected.
General questions about wireless may be answered at the ITS Service Desk at 805-756-7000.
If you are having problems with software or Cal Poly accounts, call the ITS Service Desk at 805-756-7000.
If you are having a problem with Wi-Fi in the Residence Halls, please contact ResNet at 805-756-5600.
Secure Mustang Wireless features WPA2, which keeps your wireless connection secure. No one can see where you're going or the data you are transmitting or receiving.
The wireless network name or "SSID" is SecureMustangWireless.
To find outdoor wireless hot spots, check the outdoor coverage map here.
On-campus Residence Halls and study rooms have wireless through ResNet.
My computer sees Wi-Fi networks called "WiFiSetup" and "ResnetWifiSetup". What is the difference between the two?
WiFiSetup is an on-campus wireless network meant for setting up a device for Secure Mustang Wireless; you will only see it broadcasting on the campus proper.
"ResnetWifiSetup" is a Residence Hall wireless network which also takes you through device setup.
I have configured my Mac OS X computer for Secure Mustang Wireless and still cannot get connected. What do I do?
We have additional troubleshooting steps you can take. If you still require assistance, please contact the ITS Service Desk:
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Location: Natatorium (No. 46), across from Spanos Stadium